Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Welcome back Mrs. Williams

Well I survived my first day back and have completely no voice to show for it! No, I didn't spend my day yelling at the kids. I had started to be congested on Sunday and new that as soon as I went to school today and talked all day it would be gone!

So, I woke up at 6 am not really wanting to sleep anymore and axnious about starting the day so went ahead and got up even though I wasnt going to get up until closer to 6:30. Bailey had been up twice in the night to eat so I knew she wasn't going to wake up starving which was nice to know. I went ahead and got ready and then she was awake at 6:30 as happy as can be. I was glad I had gotten up earlier so that I could have more time to play with her. I fed her at 7, pumped and we were at the door by 7:25. I cried a little on the way to drop her off. We made it to Marjorie's (babysitter) and she was so glad to see her. I could already feel the tears building inside and was glad I had already given her a lot of detail ahead of time. I could feel the tears building so I quickly said good bye and headed for the door. I cried all the way to school (don't worry it isn't far maybe a couple of minutes). I had read in books to maybe drop baby at sitters for a few hours here and there before you go back to work. I never really got that and still don't. I would have been back there to pick her up in 5 mintues if I didn't have anywhere I needed to be!

I pulled it together and figured I would get into school before the halls became filled with students and more teachers and I could hide out in my classroom if I needed to. As soon as I got to my classroom door a student of mine had made me a little sign that said, "Welcome back Mrs. Williams! We have missed you!" Wow! How can that not bring a smile to your face? So, I already was feeling better and didn't feel on the verge of tears any longer. I walked into the classroom apartan could feel apart of the old me there. The me before Bailey. Mrs. Williams was who I was and soon one by one the girls came flowing in the door excited to see me and full of hugs. It was a great feeling to know that my kids had missed me too and that I also mean something to them. So, by the time that first period started I had already chatted with several little 13 year old girls and definelty had a smile on my face! Don't get me wrong I was still missing Bailey something terrible but what better way to be greeted than this while painfully missing your little baby? The rest of the day was pretty smooth. I didn't feel rushed about pumping and getting things done and felt like it was a good time to just sit and be alone with my thoughts about her. I called to check on Bailey at lunch and she was napping. Marjorie said she wasnt real crazy about taking the bottle from her but that she did eventually take it. She said she wasn't even acting that hungry but she knew she needed to eat. Marjorie said that she was about the same with her second bottle in which she didn't finish. Guess she was holding out for the real thing! :)

I was able to sneak out a little earlier from school and was so happy to get there and see her sweet little face. She was asleep when I arrived and I was glad that she looked comfortable and Marjorie said that she had been such a good baby all day. She already has another 3 month old friend, Riley, and she said that they stared and smiled at each other and that at one point Bailey was laughing away at the TV! Riley is a couple of weeks younger than Bailey and she said that Bailey was teaching her to roll over by rolling all over the floor!

So, there is my day. It was tough but I survived! I am sure by the time that I figure out how things are going to be with Bailey it will be summer! 1 day down....42 to go! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, man I am sorry you had a hard day. But I know what you mean about your other kids making you smile :) I taught 7th grade, sounds like you may teach around that age, and some of them could really make me happy. Im glad they did that for you...

Hang in there, I know that has to be really hard.

Karen said...

Thanks, sister, for opening up your comments to those of us that don't have blogs!
I KNOW that this week has been difficult for you but I knew you would make it through. Like I told you, it's been 9 years since Hanna came home and while I have worked during these last 9 years, I don't feel that I have ever been the same.
Love to you,
Karen

Kelli said...

I'm glad the kids made you feel welcomed and gave you something to help you not miss Bailey quite so much. I know that can't be easy! Live for the weekends when you are with her, and when you can't, for the great kids at your school!