Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sweet Gramps


Sweet Gramps went to heaven this morning around 5:15. My dad was with him and said that he passed quietly and peacefully. I can't imagine any better way for such a great man.


Franklin and Buddy were names that people called him most but to me he was just Gramps. He loved to chat with everyone and was full of life. Most people as they get older slow down and spend more time at home. Gramps however was always active and busy doing things at the senior citzen center and delivering meals on wheels. Even after he lost mamaw, the love of his life, he still continued to live life to the fullest. He was a devout baptist but did learn to dance! shhhh..don't tell anyone. Although as my sister said he is probably dancing around in heaven today. Of course my fondest memories of him are as a child and going to visit and collecting pine cones and playing in the hammock in the backyard. Over the last years those closest too him missed this man who was always social and active. However, every now and then a glimpse of him would come shining through even though his body was tired and frail and his mind not quite complete. I remember going and visiting him once and him singing away to karoke. It is quite a sight to see a 90 year old man who can barely keep his eyes open come to life with a little karoke.

My sister started a blog for him and it was fun to keep up to date with everyone's visits. I don't know if Gramps every surfed the web and probably would have been amazed at it or that he had a blog for that matter. In his day he was such a social butterfly that had Facebook existed when he was younger he would have had 1000 friends. The people who cared for him at his new house loved and cared for him a great deal. Even though the gramps we once knew was not totally present the ladies that cared for him never knew the difference and I believe were blessed each day they cared for him.

So, as a family this day comes with mixed emotions. On one hand there is sadness for losing someone so dear and on the other hand there is relief that he no longer has to suffer in such a frail and failing body and mind. We can only hope that when our day comes to go to heaven that those that love and care for us will feel the same. Dance around sweet gramps. We will miss you here but have been left with awesome memories that we can never forget

4 comments:

Karen said...

I'm sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with your family.

Michelle said...

Oh, Janet, I also have fond memories of Gramps! He always treated me like another granddaughter whenever I went to family gatherings with you or he came to Waco. I know you'll miss him greatly. How wonderful to know, though, that he's rejoicing in heaven and that the time he spent here on Earth was so full.

Our Legacy Portraits said...

Janet - I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in our prayers.

K said...

Janet....I'm sorry for your loss. I just now got a chance to look at your blog :-(