Sunday, September 11, 2011

D2P - Diapers to Panties

Well, hopefully Sugie is done with diapers! HA! A lot of people have asked me what my approach was and I am not sure that I had one but I sort of took a lot of things that I have heard from here and there. Anyway, I will tell you what I did here in case anyone cares (if not just skip to the pictures) and it may be good for me to remember when I get to this point with Mckenzie but I think I am just going to let Bailey train her! HA!

Anyway, I have been planting lots of seeds a long the way. We had a little potty that she would sit on but to be honest she really saw it as a toy so we never really used it other than to play! We talked A LOT about going to the potty. I bought her a little potty seat for the toilet when she was a little past 2 and she did NOT want to sit on that thing to save her life! So no worries if they freak out at first. Eventually she got where she would sit on there and would tell me she needed to go potty but would just sit up there and play for 15 or 20 mintues and then ask to get down. A few times she asked for panties and so I would put them on her and then later she would ask for her diaper back. Anyway, we did that jazz for a while. About a month or so ago she would actually get up there and go potty but then would either ask for her diaper back or ask for panties and then later her diaper back. If she did wear panties she would refuse to go and sit on the potty again and then end up peeing in the panties. I had tried different motivators: money and stickers but nothing really seemed to motivate her to stop what she was doing and to sit on the potty.

Then this past Wednesday we were at TArget and I saw a little white stool on the clearance rack and so I bought it and told her that we were going to use it to help her go potty. She was so excited about that silly stool when we got home that she immediately wanted to go use it to go potty. So, I just sort of ran with that idea. I decided the next morning we would put on panties and dive into potty training. I had no plan at ALL. She woke up and was ready to use her stool to go potty so I thought oh good we are off to a good start. She went potty and I gave her a dime coin and she seemed proud of herself. I decided that we would go every hour even though some people have done every 30 mintues. I thought that seemed like a bit much. So about an hour later I told her she needed to go potty! She saidl, "No mommy I don't need to!" I thought oh no! Then I said I will give you a sticker if you sit on the potty and try. She liked that idea and off she went. I gave her a sticker for sitting up there and she stuck it on her hand and then gave it back to me and seemed disinterested. I remembered my friend Amy told me that they stuck the sitckers right on the toilet and it got me to thinking about that silly stool...


Yep! You guessed it! We decorated the stool. I am a genius! HA! Not really but I felt like one at the time. She was more than excited and I gave her another sticker for going in the potty. So we continued that the rest of the day. Going every hour and she got a lot of stickers. She did poop in her panties before nap time and we still haven't mastered that part but to be honest changing poopy panties is not any worse than changing poopy diapers! HA! At naptime I asked her about wearing a pull up or diaper and she said, "No momma I wear Dora panties!" So I didn't press the issue and figured she had a water proof mattress bad and I would just clean up the mess! I was amazed when she woke up dry! Way to go Bailey! She did wear a diaper for bedtime and was ok with that. We made a big deal that we were only wearing diapers at night and that in the morning we would put panties back on. She has been totally fine with that and has not asked me for a diaper at all in the last 4 days. She even had a dry diaper when she woke up on Saturday morning! So, we are sticking with diapers for a while at night until I see she has that mastered. THe last thing I need is for one kid waking me to go potty or wet when I got a baby waking me up to eat. A momma can only take so much! :) So, I am going to deem it a success and we are pushing on from diapers. She totally seems like she is ok with it and we will get the poopy part figured out sooner or later!
For right now she is VERY proud of herself!


She even asked me to take her picture on the couch! Silly sweet girl! I am so proud of you my sugar bear!

No comments: