Friday, January 1, 2010

20 things I have learned in the last decade

As I watch the news programs there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about the last decade. 10 years ago there was so much talk about the 90s and Y2K but this year another decade has passed with not much celebration. So, I got to thinking about my decade. I have now lived for 3 complete decades and this is the decade in which I have been an adult so why I have not changed that much on the outside (ok maybe a few pounds) I feel a lot has changed on the inside or just in life in general. So, I figured I would tell you the 20 things I have learned in the last decade. I tried to go in order.

1) When you graduate college you still may be completely clueless about what you want to do with your life.

2) Making friends and dating after college is difficult and strange.

3) Dating someone from a different culture can be interesting and fun, but for me at the end of the day what is best is what is familiar

4) Your parents are actually pretty smart.

5) Living by yourself can be great at times but sometimes it really stinks to come home to an empty house at the end of a long day

6) Buying stuff all on your own and supporting yourself is very rewarding.

7) Not all people are trustworthy and not all people deserve to have you in their life.

8) When finding a spouse look for someone who makes you laugh and is your friend.

9) Marriage is what you make of it.

10) Not all 7th graders know their multiplication tables or how to divide and some many have experience a much harder life than you have ever known.

11) Being a teacher is like having 140 kids to worry about when you lay down at night and makes you VERY thankful for your upbringing

12) Dogs are the most loyal creatures on the face of the earth and saving a few here or there is rewarding

13) We live with way to much stuff in the US and so many other parts of the world live with so much less.

14) Buying your first house is scary on one hand and super exciting on the other.

15) Teaching can try your patience on one day and leave you blessed the next.

16) Losing your pets is much harder as an adult than as a child.

17) Being pregnant is one of the best feelings in the world and giving birth is wonderful.

18) Being a mom fills you with a different kind of love that is hard to explain.

19) Everyone has their opinion on what you should do to raise your child however as the mom only you know what is best.

20) Sort of clicheish but Life is short and for some people even shorter so live each day like it was your last.

No comments: