Thursday, August 28, 2008

First week of school.....kickin' it old school

I have almost survived the first week of school despite having a classroom that closely resembles the one above.....seriously. I am not kidding.

A couple of weeks ago the server in our school district crashed. By crashed I mean gone, adios see you later. So, we have been functioning with NO EMAIL, NO FILES, NO ATTENDANCE, NO GRADE BOOK, NO COOL POWER POINT PRESENTATIONS, ......NADA! Trever has informed me that schools should be able to function without all of these modern necessities because they did it for years. This coming from a man who spends at least 10 hours a day in front of a computer. I haven't seen him ditching his computer and drawing out blue prints and doing calculations by hand though. However, I guess he is right in one way. We can function or I guess we have functioned and aren't losing millions of dollars each day like most companies would if faced with our same dilema. So we are now going on 2 weeks in the dark ages. I suppose we will survive until someone figures out how the other 99% of america doesn't have major network problems for weeks at a time.

On top of the the technology issue there is something wrong with my air conditioning. It is wonderful in the morning keeping me and my kids at a comfortable 72 degrees. Then 1:30 hits and BAM! the heat comes on. Yes, you heard me the HEAT! It isn't that the A/C stops working the heater is literally running. It then warms my room up to a comfortable 85 degrees. I literally look across the room and kids faces are turning red and they are getting sweaty hair. I suppose that you can only imagine how I must look running around the classroom 6 months pregnant. :) It isn't pretty. Today I had my hair up with pen and sweat running down my face. They are aware of the problem and working on it I am told.... I hope it isn't the same people that are working on the computer network...

Now that i have your attention and despite all the crap above I do think it is going to be a great year and my students seem like a good bunch this year. I have 5 classes of Pre-AP kids this year and 1 regular class. It is the most Pre-AP kids I have ever had and I hope that they are all up to my challenges. :)

Anyway, sorry for the long crazy post. Hopefully I will get to join the 21st century ASAP!

2 comments:

April said...

I'll just call you Miss Beetle from Little House on the Prairie! I'm sweating at 74, so I can't imagine 85.

glenna said...

SO SORRY about the heat...maybe they will get it fixed SOON, otherwise bring popsicles!! Hope you are on a long weekend?