Friday, July 26, 2013

Embarrassed

I don't know if anyone has seen the you tube video with Holly McNish reading her poem about breastfeeding in public but it is so powerful and makes such absolute sense.  If you haven't seen it you can see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiS8q_fifa0 .  I love helping women reach their breastfeeding goals and a complaint I hear often is, "I just feel so uncomfortable nursing in public and it makes it so difficult to go out."  I feel so heartbroken when I hear this.  What is wrong with our culture that you can't do something as simple as feeding your baby?  As Holly says:
"So no more will I sit on these cold toilet lids
No matter how embarrassed I feel as she sips
Cos in this country of billboards covered in tits
I think we should try to get used to this."

I must say though that I do have some hope.   I have actually had pretty pleasant experiences breastfeeding in public.  I like to be modest in the fact that I try to sit out of the beaten path.  Despite what many may feel I do not want to flaunt feeding my baby.  I actually would prefer you not even notice.   I did have one experience though that was very painful and almost had me in tears so that is all that I will add to such a wonderful poem.

Mckenzie was about 6 months old and I was at Chick Fil A.  Imagine that! HA! Anyway, it was just me, her and Bailey.  I had gotten Bailey set up with her food and I was starving and Mckenzie was asleep in her car seat.  As soon as I started eating she started to stir and I knew that she was going to be hungry but I just wanted to eat and move on.  Anyway, Bailey ate and then wanted to go play.  So, I sent her off into the playroom and scarfed down my food. Mckenzie stirred more and more and begun to fuss and in her true fashion as she did as a baby.  Then as soon as I took her out of the car seat she started to scream with drew attention to me.  I knew I should have fed her sooner but as any mom of 2 young kids can tell you, breastfeeding or not, sometimes someone ends up getting put off a little to long.  Anyway, I got her latched on and breathed a sigh of relief as she settled down.  I felt relief and like supermom. Both kids were happy! One in the playroom playing away and one eating her lunch happily. Then I noticed some women looking at me. Women of young children just like me.  Surely they understood my super woman moment here and could smile.  Nope.  They stared and talked about me the entire time I nursed Mckenzie.  They said things like, "Why does she have to do that here?" "It is just so disgusting" "Can't she go somewhere else?" "Why doesn't she cover up" I really couldn't believe my ears and as the sweat ran down my back from being so nervous and the tears welled up in my eyes what I wanted to say to them was, "Why not here?" "What is disgusting about feeding a baby the way God designed" "Where do you want me to go? Do you want me to take a screaming baby out of here who is starving and a 2 year old who just wants to play on the playground." "I really wouldn't mind covering up but I have no idea where my cover up is.  I used it with my first but to tell you the truth I am not even sure I have diapers and wipes much less something to cover up with." I think this is how most nursing moms feel.  I just wonder if we will ever live in a country where breastfeeding is the normal way of life. 

No comments: