Saturday, June 23, 2012

La Leche League Conference.

I went to the La Leche League conference this weekend and it was a fun time and I was able to learn more stuff.  I have been going to LLL meetings since I was pregnant with Bailey.  LLL has been the biggest support group in nursing and mothering my children.  I went to my first meeting expecting to see a bunch of crazy women sitting around nursing their 5 year olds but what I found instead were women like me who just wanted to succeed in nursing their babies.  People often say to me, "You are so lucky to have had such an easy time breastfeeding and are able to feed your babies for so long."  I also laugh because while I have not had some of the issues that some women face I would not exactly label the road as easy.  I think it is sort of like saying to a long distance runner, "You must have it so easy to be able to run so far for so long."  Ha!  The road of breastfeeding is not always easy but it has been proven time and time again to be what is best for mom and for baby.  The rewards and pay off are also rewarding.  :)  I also have friends that feel like I may be a breastfeeding nazi.  HA!  I really don't mean to come across that way!  I am just passionate about it and I want everyone women who WANTS to breastfeed to be successful! 



This is me with some of my LLL friends and Marian Thompson.  She was one of the founding members of LLL.  She along with 6 other women started meeting back in the 50s to talk about breastfeeding and mothering when nursing your babies was definelty not popular.  They had no idea what they would create.  They were just trying to look for support and encouragement from other mothers.  Anyway, if you want to look for a a great support group for breastfeeding and mothering then find a LLL group in your area.  http://www.llli.org/web/texas.html

No comments: