Monday, March 3, 2014

Almost 6 years

Almost 6 years....that is how long I have been supporting human life with my body either through pregnancy or nursing.  It has been a short 6 years on one hand a long 6 years on the other hand! HA! I found out I was pregnant with Bailey on April 7th, 2008 and she nursed until September of 2010 and I had found out I was pregnant earlier that year in May.  Mckenzie was born in February 2011 and Mckenzie nursed I think for the last time on February 3, 2014 and then a few days later told me that she was 3 and no longer needed milk! She was really down to nursing about every 3 or 4 days and it was usually in the morning and occasionally in the middle of the night so I knew it was coming to an end.  I wasn't sure how I would feel to be honest.  I guess it is bitter sweet.  It was such a natural progression for both of us that things seem to have fallen into place as they should.  So, I thought I would recap the last 6 years with a little list of all the experiences I have had in such a short time frame of time.

-I have felt the awesome excitement when you first see a positive pregnancy test and then again when hearing your babies heart beat for the first time and seeing the little bean on the screen.

-I have felt a baby move inside of me and kick me in my ribs.

-I have felt great reflux while pregnant that could only be solved by sucking on mint flavored rolaids.


-I have experience 2 pretty easy pregnancies that I enjoyed for the most part.  Well the last month with Mckenzie was pretty rough since I felt like she was trying to be born the whole time.

-I have experience a pregnancy that lasted almost to the 42nd week and one that only lasted until the almost 40th week.

- I have experience a medicated birth and an unmedicated birth but was happy for healthy babies that I was able to nurse right away.




-I have had a baby that was pretty easy from birth and one that cried A LOT! :)

-I spent the first 6 weeks of both girls life doing nothing more than nursing, sleeping, and repeat.

-I felt the warmth of a sleeping newborn on my chest.

-I have worked and pumped milk like a milk machine for both babies and more so with the first.

-I was granted the privilege of staying home to watch the girls grow and learn.

-I have nursed a baby that was so floppy and tiny and nursed  toddler that was too big for my lap.

-I have nursed a baby through most of the night.

-I have nursed a baby in every parking lot around, at the park, at the zoo, at six flags, on a hiking trail, in a tent, in car, every space in my house and probably a million others I have not thought of.

-I have met some wonderful women who have supported me through nursing when I thought I might give up.  
-I have nursed my babies when I did not want to because I knew they needed me.

-I have laughed, smiled, and cried while nursing a baby.

-I have nursed a baby through a stomach bug even though I thought I might die.

-I have enjoyed the smiles from my babies while they are at my breast.

-I have enjoyed the warmth of them on my skin at my breast.

-I have met some interesting people while nursing in public who tell me about all their kids they also nurse.  I have also experience stares and comments once that cut like a knife.  Luckily the first happened far more than the latter.

-I have nursed a toddler who was angry and sad. 

-I have nursed a baby who was hurt and bleeding.

-I have nursed a teething baby and toddler for comfort.

-I have nursed a baby and toddler to sleep.

-I have nursed a sick baby and toddler.

-I have set limitations at times with my nursing toddler because I love them but also needed my space

-I have nursed both of my babies until they decided that they were done.  One a few months shy of 2 and the other until 3.  


-I have nursed in pregnancy and was glad when she was done before another was born.

-I have nursed both my children for one last time even though I did not know it was the last time.  

This season of pregnancy and nursing is over for sure but I am so glad that my time with them and their needing me is not.  They do not need my womb or my breasts anymore but they still need cuddles, hugs, and love and for that I am grateful.    Things are for sure easier than the last 6 years have been but I really wouldn't trade it for the world.  We have developed a bond that is unbreakable that I hope carries on for a lifetime.   I know it is so clique to say the time goes by fast but it really does.  I have loved carrying my babies in my womb and I have loved having them at my breast nursing but I am also looking forward to this new chapter and all that it has to bring!

No comments: